I have not been reading all the posts in this thread and may have missed this.  But Jurriaan gave a little bibliography and didn't list a key book -- by a New Zealand woman, no less.

    Marilyn Waring wrote If Women Counted, quite a moving and persuasive book on valuing women.  And there is a good video interviewing her and about her.

    I was going to put a possessive s when I wrote "on valuing women."  On valuing women's ____.  But I couldn't think of the several words to fill in the blank.

Gene Coyle.

joanna bujes wrote:
It's pretty clear to me that men take a very different view of it than
women. At the same time, they seem to enjoy the comfort of a clean
house. I don't know why we'd call it "bourgeois" -- people have been
cleaning themselves and their houses for ever.

Joanna

ravi wrote:

joanna bujes wrote:

Some years ago, when I worked for a large, multinational computer
company, I sent out an email to everyone in the company asking why men
don't do housework.

isnt most of what is called "housework" mostly a meaningless bourgeouis
activity? clean this, dust that, the sink should be empty at all times,
put the books away in the shelf, fix the slightly leaky faucet in the
fourth bathroom, etc.

at least that's my excuse ;-).

       --ravi