Jurriaan Bendien wrote:

The peculiar thing which Marx doesn't really mention in his 1844 Manuscripts
is how human "species activities" such as caring for an infant can cease to
be fully human expressions which offer satisfaction or interest, but just
become "work which has to be done", which we sigh about at times, i.e.
simple human pleasures, or expressions of human bonding become transformed
into "work", but this work has the tendency to become abstract labour as
well, i.e. the work does not appear as an expression of human "species
activity" which humanises, despite all rhetoric and ideology to the
contrary, but just "work to be done". I consider this has everything to do
with the commodity form, with the value form, as suggested by "the oldest
profession" which Marx considers at the beginning of his manuscript

Thank you...that was what I was trying to get at, but not very well.
Yet, the issue predates capitalism. As a woman, I am particularly
sensitive to the discussion of the value of woman's (reproductive) work
and as far back as it goes...for me that's Plato's  "Phaedrus"; what you
see, over and over and over is a consistent dismissal of the value or
meaning of this work. It gets sentimentalized in the nineteenth
century...and that's about it. Asking that women get paid for it misses
the point completely.

Somehow, perhaps because it is always men who write about it, there is
this notion that there is nothing "creative" about "reproducing" life.
As if my children were nothing but copies of me...as if  the next spring
were nothing but the last spring at a later moment in time...as if life
itself were not sufficient grounds for being, meaning, joy....but that
there must always be something other that sets itself above that and is
greater than it. This setting itself apart and above always winds up
justifying some kind of class priviledge...and infects all our thinking
about the matter of "mere" reproduction.

Joanna