Sombering Paris, by Peter Janssen

Although still only a few years old, the new century has not offered us a
lot to be cheerful about, and it doesn't look like this will change quickly
either. The message is somber, but the French trendwatchers duo Brigitte
Fitoussie and Christophe Pillet consider this year a wry little sauce,
important for those who want to test their perspective on the newest
developments in design thoroughly.

According to the duo, we are uncomfortable these days, because we are
plagued by a poor moral awareness, by the stagnation of progress, by the
greying population, the unequal wealth distribution, our own lack of lust
for adventure, and other unhappinesses. In short, the threat of our
potential failure. Our main concern is just to find ways to survive from day
to day. Commonly held ideals have abandoned the field in favour of a
fanatical individualism.

There are more delightful ways to begin an article about the design trends
in Paris fashion salons, but what had to be said had to be said. Whomever is
disturbed by that, should remember not to take it too seriously. Fitoussie
and Pillet this year apparently went out looking for ways to retain
composure in these macabre and egocentric times. They found four concepts.
The first three could be called survival strategies, the fourth is less
self-evident.

Light will, according to the duo, serve more purposes in the future than
just illumination. It will lead its own life. It will become colourful
light, which suggests space, evokes emotions, conveys poetry and inspires
dreams. Light, in short, as the magic of the nocturnal elf forest in which
we, craving for better times, can dream away from reality. This development,
called Light Show by Fitoussie and Pillet, has already been happening for a
few years.

The second trend is pure. It also slots neatly into unpeaceful times. Purity
stands for the search for a new living balance between the manmade world and
the natural world, the search for the quality of life, and the origin of
things and ourselves. A new relationship with water, plants, sensory organs
and one's own body. Fitness, ecologically generated electricity and
non-industrially hatched eggs also have to do with that. Fitoussie and
Pillet call the trend Earth, Wind and Fire, and here too the symptoms have
been observable for some time.

The shell or husk is the third survival object. Whereas elsewhere people are
hastily diving into cellars to rescue the naked body, we protect our
tortured spirit from external unpleasantness by crawling into our shell, a
comfortable retraite equipped with a queer cinema, internet and fridge, from
which vantage point we can at appropriate intervals check whether the world
has not ended yet. Such hyperexpensive multifunctional items of furniture
have already been increasing in popularity for some time. Fitoussie and
Pillet call it "Micro Univers".

Less easy to describe is the last trend they've signalled, the growing
supply of beautifully designed mass-produced products. Fitoussi and Pillet
call the trend "Mass Market", which could could translate as Marks &
Spencers or, in Holland, the Hema department store. In Holland, after all,
the Hema has been preoccupied with this for a long time already, since the
trees seemed to grow up to the heavens, and when happiness was still very
normal. A causal connection with the observed sad times is not readily
apparent, unless a powerful coalition of evil forces want to pacify us with
that. Like bread and games in the past.

Translated from The Telegraaf, 21 January 2004, p. T29.