Published on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 by the Long Island, NY Newsday

>Watchdog Group Report: Most NPR Sources are Conservative
>by Peter Goodman
>
>Despite a perception that National Public Radio is politically liberal,
the
majority of its sources are actually Republicans and conservatives,
according to a survey released today by Fairness and Accuracy in
Reporting,
a left-leaning media watchdog.

>"Republicans not only had a substantial partisan edge," according to a
report accompanying the survey, "individual Republicans were NPR's most
popular sources overall, taking the top seven spots in frequency of
appearance." In addition, representatives of right-of-center think tanks
outnumbered their leftist counterparts by more than four to one, FAIR
reported.

>Citing comments dating to the Nixon administration in the 1970s, the
report
said, "That NPR harbors a liberal bias is an article of faith among many
conservatives." However, it added, "Despite the commonness of such
claims,
little evidence has ever been presented for a left bias at NPR."

>The study counted 2,334 sources used in 804 stories aired last June for
four programs: "All Things Considered," "Morning Edition," "Weekend
Edition
Saturday" and "Weekend Edition Sunday." For the analysis of think tanks,
FAIR used the months of May through August 2003.

>Overall, Republicans outnumbered Democrats by 61 percent to 38 percent,
figure only slightly higher now, when the GOP controls the White House
and
both houses of Congress, than during a previous survey in 1993, during
the
Clinton administration.

>"Some people may think is too left of center because they are
contrasting
it to the louder, black-and-white sloganeering of talk radio," said
FAIR's
Steve Rendall, a co-author of the report. "It could be that, just by
contrast, the more dulcet [tone] and slower pace and lower volume of NPR
makes many people think it must be the opposite of talk radio."

>NPR spokeswoman Jenny Lawhorn responded, "This is America - any group
has
the right to criticize our coverage. That said, there are obviously a
lot of
intelligent people out there who listen to NPR day after day and think
we're
fair and in-depth in our approach."