--- Anthony D'Costa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
This is hard to estimate but the numbers that float
around, are 3-4% of
the population, which is not a small number by any
means.  English has
been both a uniting factor (in a national sense) but
also one that sets
the rural-urban and class divide more forcefully.
---

Given that knowledge of English is so low and the
absence of a national language (I guess), what is the
lingua franca in India? I mean, is there any language
that people anywhere in India would be able to
communicate in (like Russian in the fSU)? Without
that, I imagine it would be very difficult to have a
united country.