First, the character in "Wait Until Dark" was anything but pitiful: the story was
about how she gains self-confidence by defending herself against a murderer. Second,
"Kung Fu" had a blind character who was one of the masters. When a Western man says,
"I may have trouble on the road. I am sixty-one," the chief of the temple replies,
"then take master so-and-so [the blind master]. He is eighty-three." They obviously
had different ideas about age.