Re: Economics and law
by Carrol Cox
13 August 2004 17:38 UTC < < <
Charles Brown wrote:

> CB: Why was there a need to develop the agrarian country ? People
had been
> surviving in agrarian societies for millenia.

For one thing, the USSR existed in a capitalist sea, & as Stalin said
in
1930, they had 10 years to catch up with the west industrially,
culturally, etc or they would be overrun. (This speech by Stalin was
quoted by Carl Oglesby in a book the title of which I now forget, and I
have never been able to run down the text in any of Stalin's works that
I possess.)

Vaguely from memory, it may have been 'Speech to Business Executives' from 1931.
         michael

Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at
Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724