>Upcoming in August, the P2P Foundation blog will
>be featuring my book, Jobs, Liberty and the
>Bottom Line, as its "book of the week."

1.
Based on excerpts from Tom Walker's books:
http://p2pfoundation.net/Jobs,_Liberty_and_the_Bottom_Line?title=Jobs,_Liberty_and_the_Bottom_Line&oldid=51250

"My innovation is to animate the labor commons
through a new accounting technique - a method of
social accounting that takes into explicit
account the effects of work-time variation and
distribution on social productivity. The
calculations that need to be performed for this
new social accounting for time are conceptually
easy to explain but operationally complex enough
to be feasible only with the advent of the
personal computer and availability of spreadsheet
programs. Moreover, the technology lends itself
to a deliberative solution, rather than to the dictate of experts."

2.
Jobs, Liberty and the Bottom Line, Tom Walker, Draft: 01/04/2011, p. 88:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/41965697/Jobs-Liberty-and-the-Bottom-Line#outer_page_80

"Although Dilke and Marx both focused on
disposable time as the essence of wealth and the
bounty of a society beyond capitalism, each drew
a different conclusion as to the path to the
Promised Land. Dilke saw a natural capitalist
progression toward liberty - if only the
exactions of the state could be stopped and
rolled back. Marx observed a structural barrier
to such a realization posed by the capitalist
production process that can only be overcome by a
cataclysmic overthrow of that process itself.
Both based their conclusions on a perception of
limits and superfluity - Dilke on the limit
imposed by nature on the accumulation of capital;
Marx on a similarly finite amount of labor
necessary for the reproduction of society. Both
evaluated the work and commodities beyond that
limit as 'superfluous', echoing Franklin's
disdain for 'superfluities' and Smith's for 'trinkets of frivolous utility'.

Dilke's and Marx's economic subjects often act
out of ignorance (Dilke) or succumb to the
hallucinatory fascination of the commodity fetish
(Marx) thus discounting their status as 'rational economic actors'."

3.
Alas, "Marx's eoconomic subjetcs" make their
history themselves, though not consciously. They
act both consciously and unconsciously. That's
the great narrative of Capital: the inner
connection of economic forms, social relations
AND forms of consciousness and their development
throughout the different levels of the total
process of capitalist production as a unity of
both production process and circulation process.
Hence the supposed "hallucinatory fascination of
the commodity fetish" has nothing to do with
Marx's view of the real mystification of the
capitalist mode of production. The most
"cataclysmic overthrow" will be breaking through
this mystification and its replacement by clearly
- "rational" - understanding the line of march,
the condtions, and the ultimate general results
of the proletarian movement - by the masses themselves.

Marx: "In capital ­ profit, or still better
capital ­ interest, land ­ rent, labour ­ wages,
in this economic trinity represented as the
connection between the component parts of value
and wealth in general and its sources, we have
the complete mystification of the capitalist mode
of production, the conversion of social relations
into things, the direct coalescence of the
material production relations with their historical and social determination.

It is an enchanted, perverted, topsy-turvy world,
in which Monsieur le Capital and Madame la Terre
do their ghost-walking as social characters and
at the same time directly as mere things.

It is the great merit of classical economy to
have destroyed this false appearance and
illusion, this mutual independence and
ossification of the various social elements of
wealth, this personification of things and
conversion of production relations into entities,
this religion of everyday life. It did so by
reducing interest to a portion of profit, and
rent to the surplus above average profit, so that
both of them converge in surplus-value; and by
representing the process of circulation as a mere
metamorphosis of forms, and finally reducing
value and surplus-value of commodities to labour
in the direct production process.

Nevertheless even the best spokesmen of classical
economy remain more or less in the grip of the
world of illusion which their criticism had
dissolved, as cannot be otherwise from a
bourgeois standpoint, and thus they all fall more
or less into inconsistencies, half-truths and
unsolved contradictions. On the other hand, it is
just as natural for the actual agents of
production to feel completely at home in these
estranged and irrational forms of capital ­
interest, land ­ rent, labour ­ wages, since
these are precisely the forms of illusion in
which they move about and find their daily occupation.

It is therefore just as natural that vulgar
economy, which is no more than a didactic, more
or less dogmatic, translation of everyday
conceptions of the actual agents of production,
and which arranges them in a certain rational
order, should see precisely in this trinity,
which is devoid of all inner connection, the
natural and indubitable lofty basis for its
shallow pompousness. This formula simultaneously
corresponds to the interests of the ruling
classes by proclaiming the physical necessity and
eternal justification of their sources of revenue
and elevating them to a dogma."
http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1894-c3/ch48.htm

hk