Awhile back, Michael Perelman asked why people are up in arms against
e-mail spam. I had a tentative answer, which I won't repeat. Here's an
additional point:

Spam imposes the need to do work on the recipient. It takes time and
effort to get rid of spam without trashing "good" e-mail. Even if you
have a spam filter, it's smart to check the auto-trash file to make sure
that good e-mail isn't trashed. Further, few if any filters get all
spam. Spam interferes with attaining the desired goal of e-mail, i.e.,
communicating with friends, relatives, and business connections.

On the other hand, we learn to not read ads in newspapers and magazines.
Some attract our attention, but we don't have to read them. Some are
pleasant to look at.

Ads on TV are obnoxious, but they give one the chance to go get a beer,
brush one's teeth, etc. Some are clever. The big problem is how they
turn up the gain during ads (relative to the shows) so that the
obnoxious ads jump out at the viewer (especially in the middle of the
night).

Ads on radio are equally bad, with fewer benefits. I guess the major
advantage over spam is that people can switch over to CD players,
cassette players, 8-track players, etc. rather than listen to the ads.

As I said before, many people view ads on TV and radio as being the
price of getting free broadcasts. Spam imposes costs without having any
benefits.

Jim Devine, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: http://myweb.lmu.edu/jdevine/