(1)

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=2&articleID=000E555C-4387-1237-81CB83414B7FFE9F

April 01, 2005

Okay, We Give Up
We feel so ashamed
By The Editors

There's no easy way to admit this. For years, helpful letter writers
told us to stick to science. They pointed out that science and
politics don't mix. They said we should be more balanced in our
presentation of such issues as creationism, missile defense and global
warming. We resisted their advice and pretended not to be stung by the
accusations that the magazine should be renamed Unscientific American,
or Scientific Unamerican, or even Unscientific Unamerican. But spring
is in the air, and all of nature is turning over a new leaf, so
there's no better time to say: you were right, and we were wrong.

In retrospect, this magazine's coverage of so-called evolution has
been hideously one-sided. For decades, we published articles in every
issue that endorsed the ideas of Charles Darwin and his cronies. True,
the theory of common descent through natural selection has been called
the unifying concept for all of biology and one of the greatest
scientific ideas of all time, but that was no excuse to be fanatics
about it. Where were the answering articles presenting the powerful
case for scientific creationism? Why were we so unwilling to suggest
that dinosaurs lived 6,000 years ago or that a cataclysmic flood
carved the Grand Canyon? Blame the scientists. They dazzled us with
their fancy fossils, their radiocarbon dating and their tens of
thousands of peer-reviewed journal articles. As editors, we had no
business being persuaded by mountains of evidence.

Moreover, we shamefully mistreated the Intelligent Design (ID)
theorists by lumping them in with creationists. Creationists believe
that God designed all life, and that's a somewhat religious idea. But
ID theorists think that at unspecified times some unnamed
superpowerful entity designed life, or maybe just some species, or
maybe just some of the stuff in cells. That's what makes ID a superior
scientific theory: it doesn't get bogged down in details.

Good journalism values balance above all else. We owe it to our
readers to present everybody's ideas equally and not to ignore or
discredit theories simply because they lack scientifically credible
arguments or facts. Nor should we succumb to the easy mistake of
thinking that scientists understand their fields better than, say,
U.S. senators or best-selling novelists do. Indeed, if politicians or
special-interest groups say things that seem untrue or misleading, our
duty as journalists is to quote them without comment or contradiction.
To do otherwise would be elitist and therefore wrong. In that spirit,
we will end the practice of expressing our own views in this space: an
editorial page is no place for opinions.

Get ready for a new Scientific American. No more discussions of how
science should inform policy. If the government commits blindly to
building an anti-ICBM defense system that can't work as promised, that
will waste tens of billions of taxpayers' dollars and imperil national
security, you won't hear about it from us. If studies suggest that the
administration's antipollution measures would actually increase the
dangerous particulates that people breathe during the next two
decades, that's not our concern. No more discussions of how policies
affect science either-so what if the budget for the National Science
Foundation is slashed? This magazine will be dedicated purely to
science, fair and balanced science, and not just the science that
scientists say is science. And it will start on April Fools' Day.

________________

(2)

Subject: The Dangers of Thinking

It started out innocently enough.

I began to think at parties now and then...just to loosen up. Inevitably
though, one thought led to another, and soon I was more than just a
social thinker. I began to think alone -- "to relax," I told myself -- but
I knew it wasn't true.

Thinking became more and more important to me, and finally I was
thinking all the time. I began to think on the job. I knew that thinking
and working don't mix, but I couldn't stop myself.

I began to avoid friends at lunchtime so I could read Thoreau and Kafka.
I would return to the office dizzied and confused, asking, "What is it
exactly we are doing here?"

Things weren't going so great at home either.

One evening I had turned off the TV and asked my wife about the
meaning of life. She spent that night at her mother's.

I soon had a reputation as a heavy thinker. One day the boss called me
in. He said, "Skippy, I like you, and it hurts me to say this, but your
thinking has become a real problem. If you don't stop thinking on the
job, you'll have to find another job." This gave me a lot to think about.

I came home early after my conversation with the boss. "Honey," I
confessed, "I've been thinking..." "I know you've been thinking," She
snapped "and I want a divorce!"

"But Honey, surely it's not that serious."

"It is serious," She added, lower lip aquiver. "You think as much as
college professors, and college professors don't make any money, so if
you keep on thinking we won't have any money!"

"That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently, and she began to cry.

I'd had enough. "I'm going to the library," I snarled as I stomped out the
door. I drove off, in the mood for some Nietzsche, with NPR on the
radio. I roared into the parking lot and ran up to the big glass doors ...
they didn't open. The library was closed. To this day, I believe that a
Higher Power was looking out for me that night.

As I sank to the ground clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for
Zarathustra, a poster caught my eye. "Friend, is heavy thinking ruining
your life?" Most of you no doubt recognize that line. It comes from the
standard Thinker's Anonymous poster. Which is how I became what I
am today: a recovering thinker.

I never miss a TA meeting. At each meeting we watch a non-educational
video. Last week, it was "Porky's." Then we share experiences about how
we avoided thinking since the last meeting.

I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home. Life just seemed
... easier, somehow, as soon as I stopped thinking.

Soon, I'll be able to vote for the Republicans [or Democrats].

--
Jim Devine
[EMAIL PROTECTED]