From: Louis Proyect <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

... Then there is Ratzinger, aka "God's Rotweiler", aka "The Grand
Inquisitor" ...

Chin-stroking Vaticanologists are suggesting that we're in for a delightful surprise -- a kinder, gentler Inquisition, I guess -- because God's Rotweiler has anointed himself "Benedict XVI," supposedly signaling spiritual kinship with Benedict XV, celebrated as an all-around mensch for being anti-intellectual-witch-hunt, anti-war and anti-anti-liberal. Looking at Ratzinger's recent pronouncements, though, I would have to assume that his choice of the name Benedict more likely reflects a fondness for poached eggs with Hollandaise sauce or the liqueur Benedictine.

Carl