On 5/7/05, Michael Perelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Aren't Ian and Jim just talking past each other here without fundamentally
> disagreeing
> about anything substantial?

-----------------------

There are a variety of anti-reductionist approaches in biology
relative to the entities/relations in question, from population
genetics to whether embryology is a kind of computation that is
amenable to reverse engineering:

<http://www.ijdb.ehu.es/ijdb20034723/ft183.pdf>

 McFadden is simply highlighting some aspects of contemporary research
controversies. As long as biology persists as a discipline there will
be immense controversies. Evolution is downright weird. I don't think
Jim and I are disagreeing......yet :->

--
"C'mon Mr. Krinkle, tell me why" [Primus]