Michael gets extra credit for correctly identifying
J.-B. Say as the intellectual godfather of my
correspondent. My c.'s point was that yes, indeed,
Keynes, Pasinetti et. al. committed the lump-of-labour
fallacy:

"Again, the loss of jobs is predicated on some
exogenous limitation of the rate of output growth, in
this case by what people 'can afford'. However, it is
not clear that the assumption of a predetermined path
of output growth can be reasonably justified. This
vision of a '20:80 society' immediately provokes an
intrinsic question: Shouldn’t a society that becomes
ever more productive also become wealthier – and thus
able to afford what it produces? This question was
first raised (and answered affirmatively) by the
nineteenth-century French economist Jean-Baptiste Say,
who thereby entered the world’s textbooks of economic
principles as the father of Say’s law. Every version
of the 'end-of-work' story ignores Say’s law by
assuming (in one way or another) that there is a fixed
amount of work to be done and that, therefore,
increased productivity means less jobs. In the labour
market literature this is referred to as the 'lump of
labour' fallacy."

Now here's a bit of a conundrum: the learned professor
states that anyone who commits the fallacy "ignores
Say's law" but we know that Keynes and Pasinetti did
not "ignore" Say's law but explicitly addressed it and
critiqued it. I'll leave Keynes's position on this to
Ted Winslow, if he wishes to elaborate. But Pasinetti
is quite concise and to the point. His discussion runs
from page 240 to 244 in _Structural Change and
Economic Growth_ in a section titled "Say’s law and
under-consumption theories — a reappraisal." It
concludes with the following statement, which could
even be thought of as a *qualified* endorsement of
Say's law:

"It is only with a comprehensive analysis of the
structural evolution of the economic system that the
barren separation of the short from the long run
yields to a more fruitful understanding of the
inter-connections between the two. The relevant point
is that the very nature of the process of long-run
growth requires a structural dynamics which leads to
difficulties in the short run. The one implies the
other; therefore the whole process has to be accepted
and tackled in its entirety. It is no use complaining
about short-run difficulties, since they are the
inevitable effect of long-run technical and social
evolution. Nor is it useful to rely on long-run full
employment growth-paths, for they will never be
achieved, unless an appropriate process of structural
change is continually carried out in the short run.

"From this approach, the more constructive attitude
emerges of singling out first the fundamental
structural dynamics which must take place and then of
trying to facilitate them. When this is done without
prejudice, it becomes much easier to work in the
direction of shaping the institutions themselves so as
to enhance economic growth and progress, instead of
sacrificing these aims — as only too often happens
—for the sake of institutional arrangements which the
inexorable pace of progress is from time to time
rendering obsolete."

The qualification is that the long run adjustment is
only a potential, not automatic -- dogmatic insistence
on its automaticity might even thwart that potential
as it implicitly defends institutional arrangements
that have become obsolete. But there is another
important disclaimer lurking in Pasinetti's
discussion:

"...there is no reason to fear any limit to the level
of consumption... It seems important to stress that
this proposition  does not depend on the belief that
human possibilities and imagination for new types of
consumption can increase indefinitely. Even if the
absolute amount of consumption had a limit, the
alternative would always be open of devoting the
continually increasing productivity to reducing labour
time (and increasing leisure time), instead of
increasing production. The point is that this process
is not one to be expected automatically. The learning
process it entails can by no means be taken for
granted, although there is no inherent impossibility
in human nature of carrying it on. Difficulties do
arise because periodic accelerations of this process
of learning are required."

Note that rather than viewing the reduction of labour
time as an exogenous remedy for some gloomy absolute
limitation on the level of consumption, Pasinetti
defines it explicitly as a way of disavowing *fear* of
any such limit! Moreover, there is good evidence
historically to view the hours of work as one of the
key "institutional arrangements" that technological
progress continually renders obsolete. To put it
bluntly, reducing the hours of labour is part of the
learning process. At least it always has been. So to
resist reducing the hours of work because of a
conviction that such a reduction cannot itself create
employment may in fact inhibit the very economic
growth and technological progress that supposedly
renders reducing the hours of work "unnecessary" and
"fallacious" from the perspective of adherents to the
automatic form of Say's Law.

The Sandwichman