On 3/25/07, ken hanly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I don't know why you think that the Canadian system is
better than the UK system. WHO ranks Canada as 30 in
the world whereas UK is 18. Coverage is far superior
in Great Britain. Certainly the system has gone
downhill but this is virtually universal in developed
capitalist countries.
    US is certainly bad at 37 (just above Cuba at
39)--although I recall an efficiency ranking that puts
Cuba above the US. Indeed the US spends more of GDP on
healthcare than almost any other country with meager
results:

That rating is base on how well the UK does compared to the very
limited resources it spends on health. However in  terms of actual
results according to the U.S. Census  International Data Base.:

Canadian Infant Mortality Rate 2007:     4.63 per thousand
UK           Infant Mortality Rate 2007:     5.01 per thousand

Canadian Life Expectancy at  birth 2007:  80.34
UK           Life Expectancy at  birth 2007:   78.7

According to the WHO Report you cited:

Disability Adjusted Life Expectancy
Canada 1999  74
UK        1999  73.7

http://www.nao.org.uk/publications/Int_Health_Comp.pdf

2002 Doctors per 1000 -Canada 2.1  UK 1.8
2000 Nurses  per 1000   Canada 7.6    UK 5.3

Canada had the same beds (3.3) in 1999 as UK in 2000  - though same
year comparision shows slight difference in Canada's favor here too.

http://www.ijcim.th.org/past_editions/2004V12N3/ijcimv3n1_article8.pdf
1998                                                             1998
Physicians per 1000                                    Beds Per 1000
Canada             2.1                                       4.7
UK                     1.7                                      4.2

I think you will find Canada has more doctors, nurses and hospital
beds per thousand of population as well.

UK does amazingly for the money it spends. But in absolute results you
are better off with the Canadian health system.