Do community colleges/technical colleges in california offer any certifications
aside from A.A. degrees? Can you get a certification in any skilled "manual"
trade from these institutions (welding, dental etc.) without being an
apprentice? Would a federal loan cover these classes?

Leigh Meyers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Jon Baranov wrote:
> I could have gone to the department of labor and asked them this in
> person, but didn't feel like it:
>
> How affordable is vocational education for least payed workers?
.

If you are 'underemployed', meaning chronically low hours of employment,
there are federal grants you can get through various agencies. The
availability of funding varies widely. It's better to apply at the
beginning of the funded agency's fiscal year.

.
> Can you get federal loans for it?
.

JTPA *granted* about half of the $6,000 dollars that it cost to get my
class 'A' tractor-trailer license. I don't know of any loans for job
training unless the training organization arranges it.

[Snicker] The SBA sort of does that (loans) for people with fresh MBAs
and no real experience in business...
.

> In its present form in the US, how likely is brief vocational training
> (as opposed to apprenticeship) to land these worers into better paying
> jobs (say $30,000+/ year)?
.

Brief Training: I had a truck driving job within a couple of months of
graduation, but it wasn't a $30,000 dollar a year driving job. A more
competitive person could have done that if they wanted to be away from
home for 90 days at a time, or landed one of the few union driving job
available in the US ($30k is about entry level for a union cement truck
driver).

Community Colleges serve as vocational schools with work/study
'apprenticeship', more than they serve as academic institutions, at
least in California.

An A.A. in anything resembling desired skills for the local job market
might land you a $30k job, but for two years you go to school full time,
and work full time to pay the rent and eat.

That's OK for a 20-something year old, but by the time that worker is
...40..., and stood on his feet 8 hours a day in front of a friggin'
engine lathe, or has close to a million miles on their commercial
driver's license, two full time life pursuits would probaly leave the
worker physically/emotionally/psychologically drained to the point of
being a candidate for another federal grant... SSI.

.

> Thank You
.

Your welcome,