So what is the explanation for the rise of right wing
thought on campuses. I wonder if the same thing is
happening in Canada. Certainly when I was in the
Philippines as far as I could see university students
were very left wing. There are many well attended
demonstrations, many against the government. There are
many left leaning newspapers in the Philippines as
well.

--- Leigh Meyers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http%3A%2F%2Fadbusters.org%2Fthe_magazine%2Fcontent%2Fview%2F255

> [...]
> sense trumps
> everybody else's while liberals assume their
> superiority because they
> feel their morality trumps everybody else's.
> Horowitz has exploited
> the liberal myth (those intellectual Rapunzels more
> interested in
> theory than the real world) by re-shaping it into a
> weapon that he
> uses against the Left's intellectual support base.
>
> After private meetings with Horowitz, the state
> senate is currently
> toying with the possibility of introducing
> legislation requiring that
> academic institutions "ensure academic diversity."
> Democrats are
> labeling this as yet another power-grab by
> Republicans - a
> mind-bending role-reversal: now, it's the Right that
> shouts
> discrimination and demands change to the oppressive
> power structure,
> while the Left dismisses this as oversensitivity and
> cries foul at
> government regulation seen as intrusive and
> impractical. This
> highlights how Right wing strategists have, in
> recent years, embedded
> conservative thought into liberal campus culture by
> casting young
> Republicans as - get this! - victims of the system.
> Republican Davids
> battling a massive Left wing Goliath? "There's a
> certain excitement at
> being the underdog," Jones says.
>
> With the meeting in full swing, he energetically
> speaks about one of
> his favorite extracurricular activities: pissing off
> liberals. The
> audience responds with a storm of suggestions: a
> pro-Palestinian
> exhibit in the library must be removed. Flood the
> email in-box of a
> campus administrator - whose personal office
> displays an American flag
> "defaced" with African colors. Then Jones suggests
> an event that has
> been happening on numerous campuses - an
> "Affirmative Action Bake
> Sale" where white students are charged more than
> minority students for
> the same items. The crowd goes wild.
>
> Later, Jones explains that the Campus Republican's
> goal is not only to
> screw with liberals, but to wage a kind of
> ideological jujitsu: use
> the momentum of your opponent, in this case Left
> wing anger, to expose
> how irrational he is. Then as he lays weakened on
> the ground, gain
> some momentum of your own. "Well, either you're
> going to love us or
> you're going to hate us. And even if you hate us,"
> he says, "at least
> we're going to get good press coverage."
>
> Jared Jacang Maher's work has appeared in the
> Chicago Reader and
> several underground publications. He is an editor of
=== message truncated ===

Blog:  http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html