I think it is generally agreed that Alberta is more
generous than it need be given the price of oil. Of
course it is quite expensive to extract oil from the
tar sands deposits so if the price of oil were to drop
significantly I suppose the incentives and low
royalties would make more sense. But in that case it
might make more sense to just leave it in the ground
until the price increases. Anyway there is no reason
that the government  of Alberta or in a joint venture
with the feds could not develop the oil sands rather
than having big oil do it. However, it is questionable
to what extent they should be developed at all given
the environmental consequences and costs involved. It
might make more sense to invest in alternative sources
of energy. Alberta has huge wind potential in the
foothills of the Rockies and other areas as well.
--- Yoshie Furuhashi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Blog:  http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html