At the risk of more rants, I will also recommend Sen's "The Argumentative
Indian".  There are a couple of chapters (the first two) that deal with democracy,
pluralism, and voice in a broad (Indian) historical sweep making precisely the argument
that democracy is neither new nor western in practice.  As for other areas of discussion,
which apparent was not present in the Financial Times piece, there are many essays in the
book that deal explicitly with inequality, illiteracy, poverty, gender discrimination,
etc.

Anthony
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anthony P. D'Costa, Professor           Currently
Comparative International Development   Senior Visiting Research Fellow
University of Washington                Asia Research Institute
1900 Commerce Street                    National University of Singapore
Tacoma, WA 98402, USA                   469 A Tower Block
Phone: (253) 692-4462                   Bukit Timah Road #10-01
Fax :  (253) 692-5718                   Singapore 259770
http://tinyurl.com/yhjzrm               Ph: (65) 6516 8785
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx