On Nov 14, 2007 10:14 AM, Charles Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> What is the role of  investment _banks_ that are part of a stock market
> system ?  Do investment banks guide management and organize ownership in
> the US system today ?.

You ask two separate questions. As I understand it the traditional function
of investment banks is to intermediate capital investments. For instance
they might appraise and underwrite stock and bond issues, and provide
advisory services for M&A transactions. These days I believe these
activities are mainly considered as 'loss leaders' i.e. the fees they
receive for underwriting IPOs may be small compared to the previlege of
getting their own stock allocations and also establishing insider
relationships with the top executives. And securitization (i.e. creating and
selling CLOs and CDSs) seems to be the most profitable part of M&A activity
rather than advisory fees.

Financial institutions, other than the stock market, and financial
> instruments , such as hedge funds, seem very important in the US system
> today. They seem to have a lot of power and control  that impact management
> and ownership in the US system

Legally the holders of financial securities have very little power over
productive assets. Hedge funds and private equity firms are allowed to
borrow so much money with so little risk to themselves that their influence
is magnified. It is fundamentally a failure (or sabotage) of regulation.
-raghu.