Thanks for your response, Raghu

Charles

^^^^

What is the role of  investment _banks_ that are part of a stock
market
system ?  Do investment banks guide management and organize ownership
in
the US system today ?.

You ask two separate questions. As I understand it the traditional
function of investment banks is to intermediate capital investments. For
instance they might appraise and underwrite stock and bond issues, and
provide advisory services for M&A transactions. These days I believe
these activities are mainly considered as 'loss leaders' i.e. the fees
they receive for underwriting IPOs may be small compared to the
previlege of getting their own stock allocations and also establishing
insider relationships with the top executives. And securitization (i.e.
creating and selling CLOs and CDSs) seems to be the most profitable part
of M&A activity rather than advisory fees.

Financial institutions, other than the stock market, and financial
instruments , such as hedge funds, seem very important in the US system
today. They seem to have a lot of power and control  that impact
management and ownership in the US system

Legally the holders of financial securities have very little power over
productive assets. Hedge funds and private equity firms are allowed to
borrow so much money with so little risk to themselves that their
influence is magnified. It is fundamentally a failure (or sabotage) of
regulation.
-raghu.