Greetings Economists,
Some more on the Surfer Dude physicist, Garrett Lisi.  Author of the
"Extremely Simple Theory of Everything (T.o.E.).

B: You're living on an island, and keep your distance to the
academical networks. Do you think that solitude and silence are
necessary to our understanding of nature's ways?
G: To a degree, yes. But mostly I spend time in Maui because it's
beautiful and the surf is good. And although I work on my own, my
wonderful girlfriend is usually around, painting or knitting. And I
have friends to hang out with occasionally. Ideally, I think what one
needs in life is balance. I like to spend a few hours a day working on
physics in silence, and a few hours playing outside or goofing off.

I've been thinking about what the ideal scientific work environment
would be, and the best thing I've been able to come up with is a
Science Hostel. I envision a large house where theorists could live
and work on their stuff alone or in groups while having their meals
and living space provided. The idea is to give researchers time, with
an easily accessible but undemanding social atmosphere, and as little
responsibility as possible. And, of course, it would have to be
somewhere beautiful -- with good hiking and other things to do
outside. For the past year I've been living near Lake Tahoe -- a great
environment for thinking and playing. Anywhere in the mountains would
probably be good for a Science Hostel -- even better if it's next to a
good ski hill. :)

The reason I've been out of the scientific network isn't because I
thought it was bad, but because I didn't fit in it. I love
differential geometry, GR, and QFT, but I don't care for strings. Ten
years ago, when I got my Ph.D., the only postdoc positions available
in these overlapping areas were in string theory. So, since I had some
money saved up, I moved to Maui to work on the puzzle on my own, and
learned how to windsurf. Now, ten years later, string theory isn't
doing so well and there are starting to be other opportunities in
foundational physics. The LQG community has grown significantly -- and
they're a wonderful group of people. Also, the FQXi foundation liked
what I was doing enough to give me a nice grant. So I felt the time
was right to leave my quiet island and start talking with people.

more here:
http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2007/08/garrett-lisis-inspiration.html
thanks,
Doyle Saylor