A colleague, who is under quite a bit of stress, begged me to help him write a
textbook.  Reluctantly I agreed.  I really had no interest in the project.  We
did a
couple chapters and an outline.  Little, Brown was interested enough that they
flew
him out to Boston.  He went up the ranks of editors until he got to the highest
level.  There, the head honcho told him that the project was unacceptable.  The
reason was that our outline did not conform to that of the McConnell book.

Also, does anybody remember the Spencer case?  McGraw-Hill sued Spencer for
plagiarizing McConnell.  Spencer won the case on the grounds that the judge
decided
that all textbooks are plagiarisms.

What was unique about the Mankiw textbook was the way it brought everything
down to
the simplest possible level, evading all the contradictions and even the
complexity
of economics.  My first reaction to the book was that it reminded me of cotton
candy
-- all fluff.

--
Michael Perelman