David's comment about supply side economics made me rummage through my notes.
Here
is John Edwards' "employer" on taxes.  The last line, as they say, is
"priceless."
Griffin is an exception, since he is not interested in money, but in creating
wealth
for the community and the sheer joy of working.  Also, he would work less if
faced
with high taxes, but only as a matter of principle (or is it principal?).

"Kenneth C. Griffin, who received more than $1 billion last year as chairman of
hedge fund, the Citadel Investment Group, declared: "The money is a byproduct
of a
passionate endeavor."  Mr. Griffin, 38, argued that those who focus on the
money --
and there is always a get-rich crowd -- "soon discover that wealth is not a
particularly satisfying outcome." His own team at Citadel, he said, "loves the
problems they work on and the challenges inherent to their business."  Mr.
Griffin
maintained that he has created wealth not just for himself but for many others.
"We
have helped to create real social value in the U.S. economy," he said. "We have
invested money in countless companies over the years and they have helped
countless
people"."

"The income distribution has to stand," Mr. Griffin said, adding that by trying
alter it with a more progressive income tax, "you end up in problematic
circumstances. In the current world, there will be people who will move from
one tax
area to another. I am proud to be an American. But if the tax became too high,
as a
matter of principle I would not be working this hard."

Uchitelle, Louis. "The Richest of the Rich, Proud of a New Gilded Age." New York
Times (15 July).
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/business/15gilded.html?sq=&pagewanted=print

--
Michael Perelman