The American Economic Review has a fascinating article that inadvertently
points to a
relatively insecure, but significant negative consequence of capitalism.  The
authors
find: "Specifically, households in their late forties pay, on average, 4
percent more
for identical goods than households in their late sixties.  This is consistent
with
the fact that market labor hours, earnings, and time demands from children all
decline after middle age.  Additionally, we document
that higher-income households pay higher prices than lower-income households,
and
dualworker couples pay higher prices than singleworker couples."

Aguiar, Mark and Erik Hurst. 2007. "Life-Cycle Prices and Production." American
Economic Review, 97: 5 (December): pp. 1533-59.

Normally, we hear that higher prices are a form of rationing scarce goods, but
the
scarcity here is a scarcity of customers.  Stores try to draw customers in with
low
prices in order to make more profits, often using loss leaders, so they can
charge
more for less inelastic goods.  Even assuming that the average price is somehow
"fair" or "efficient," this strategy costs people time, jumping back and forth
to get
the best deal.

This time cost falls outside of the typical economic measures, along with wait
time
on the telephone, standing around in a store until a clerk comes your way, long
commutes, and interminable security checks before an uncomfortable and often
late
plane ride.

--
Michael Perelman