Below, I wrote that in one treatment of the wages of unproductive
labor-power, >> if S1 denotes the surplus value created by productive
workers and if the rate of profit is stated as

r = (S1 + U)/(C + V) =  [(S1/V) + (U/V)]/[(C/V) + 1]

then an increase in (U/V) "does not not affect" the value of the
numerator in the equation.<<

As pen-l alumnus Jurriaan Bendien notes, I was wrong.

The problem is that I unthinkingly assumed that the rise in U was
totally compensated for by a fall in S1 (as some seem to assume), so
that any increase in U/V was compensated for by a fall in S1/V. With
this assumption, r is constant even though U is becoming more
important.