Rice is the biggest crop in Butte County.  Much of the soil is a lava cap with
almost
no topsoil.  It was only used for grazing until Japanese immigrants realized it
was
good for rice.  They lost the land while they were interned.  When I first came
here,
the rice burning was such that there was virtually no visibility.  Since then,
the rice
burning is much more modest.  One of the largest organic rice operations,
Lundberg, is
located here.  They do not burn on their organic fields.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321