I tend too US involvement as always interceding on behalf of the wrong guy.
Here I found an arrow that would suggest that line of reasoning.
http://spookterror.blogspot.com/2008/02/cia-plot-to-topple-kenyas-leader.html
Except that - at least in the beginning - the US (and the one they pick)
always wins ... and Odinga supposedly did, but if he did and the US does
want Kibaki out of the way - I see little effort by the US to get Kibaki
out, which is out of tune with Condolezza Rice (flashing legs in miniskirt
and Colgate smile and all!) and her ... legwork ... for Bush's Africom!

Rui