Bush has been mocked so many many times in all kinds of media across the
world, he has been called all kinds of names abroad and at home, that it is
not likely that all of a sudden there would be a major outcry over remarks
that in themselves do not express much that is new or has not been said
before.

At the same time, deep down most people whether they like it or not have
grown accustomed to the idea that when new accusations come to the fore, it
is a matter of days before it becomes clear that they are true. It is like
having a drunk or a druggie in the family - you pretend it is not so, and
try not to be too embarrassed.

In my line of work (freedom of expression/ [Southern] Africa), it is great
that I can collect and use these incidents, where here many country have
severe defamation, insult, desacato laws. But that's about all that is left
to use in terms of roll models, best practices etc. I'd be lost if I had to
use the US to illustrate just and fair election, good governance,
anti-corruption, transparency ... basically anything that vaguely resembles
a democracy!

Regards,

Rui