I ordered some old tests. I generally rate lenses for sharpness by their
performance at 8 x 10 inch enlargements, the maximum size produced by my
Epson 870. Here's some of the interesting things I learned:

FA Power Zoom 28-105 f4-5.6. We all know this is a great lens, Well,
it's even surprisingly sharp wide open through nearly the whole zoom
range. Wide open at 28 is just a bit weak, but still good to 8 x 10
inches. Only weakness is in macro. Of course they're out of production.
Get one while you can.

F/FA 50 f1.7 vs. FA 43 f1.9. The 43 is very sharp from f4 on, and good
at f2.8. The 50 is better at f2.8 and and just slightly (1 point on the
SQF scale from 0 to 100 I think) less sharp at smaller apertures. But
guess what? The 50 is quite a bit sharper wide open. Guess I'll be
satisfied with my 50 f1.7.

FA 24 f2. Yep, a great lens. But we knew that. (I don't have one.)

FA 28-70 f2.8. Yes, it does f2.8 across the zoom range. But beyond 28
mm. it's not terribly sharp at 2.8.

FA 80-200 f2.8. Incredible. Sharp wide open across the zoom range. Can I
afford this lens? Do I want to carry it's weight? Do I wish I didn't
know how good it is?

I may not be able to answer questions right away - off for travel next
week.

Joe
-