On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 5:13 AM, Tom Christiansen <tchr...@perl.com> wrote:
> Then they just aren't smart enough to handle programming, I guess.

What would be so stupid about that question? What would you reply if
someone asked you that question?

> I have never ever had the least problem.  I've taught many thousands
> of students, directly.

I'm active in biology/bioinformatics, not software engineering or
computer science: I work with people who often had only the most
elementary classes in Perl, if that at all. My colleagues are not
stupid, they just try to get their work done and use whatever tools at
their disposal (in this case perl and its documentation) to assist
them in that. I have never taught students directly, but I have had to
indirectly teach them when working with them. Maybe they wouldn't have
this problem if they had been properly taught, but that's a what-if
scenario to me.

> I don't believe you.

Are you suggesting I'm lying?? Other people's experiences being
different is not an excuse for discounting them.

Leon