PerlDiscuss - Perl Newsgroups and mailing lists wrote:

I am trying to get my program to switch to Binary mode. I know the command
is ftp->binary();, however, it does not work.

where in the Net::FTP docs does it say that? I don't think you will find it.

By chance, i got the program
to work only when i have the following lines of code inserted:
$bin=$ftp->binary or die "Can not change the Type to Binary\n";
$bin=$ftp->binary;

If I take out any of those lines it transfers in Ascii mode. Why?

I think the server can default to ascii or binary. But then it can be changed.

Thanks
Isaac

You can set the default server transfer type when you create $ftp also... perldoc Net::FTP for more details:

$net = Net::FTP->new($host, { Type => 'I' } ); #for example, untested

--
mathematics: the science of quantity, shape, and arrangement
computersci: the science of information description and transformation