I think the wholesale renaming of t/op/misc as t/run/kill_perl is
really wrong.

(I think you are reading too much into the leading comments, and other
people have been reading too little into them.)

t/op/misc has NOT consistently been the place for core-dumping tests;
it has some yes, but not all, and some of its tests are _not_
core-dumping, they are, ta-dah, misc, tests that over the years have
had no other appropriate place.

Also, I do not see any particular advantage in having a separate
test script *just* for core-dumping tests: the test harnesses
(TEST and harness) should handle core dumps (as well as they can)
in any test script.

What should be done instead of the simple renaming is that each of the
tests in the run/kill_perl aka op/misc should be siphoned off to
other, as appropriate as possible, test scripts (possibly creating new
test scripts if appropriate), and leave just the bare minimum set of
tests that really doesn't fit elsewhere, into t/something/misc.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen