Adam Kennedy writes:

[Tels writes:]

> > if there is a problem with Module::Install, you have to update all
> > your dists with the new version
>
> But if there is a problem with EU::MM or Module::Build, you have to
> update every installation in the entire world with the new version.

Not necessarily; for example if the problem is just with, say, Cygwin
then only Cygwin users need to update their installations -- something
which they have control over, and only need to do once for all module
installations to work again.

> Module::Install is more about containing the problem. If there's a bug
> related to Module::Install, at least you only have to fix the problem
> in one place. And the number of bugs that require a rerelease is
> falling, most of the recent versions have fixed things like
> cygwin-specific bugs ...

So a module author who doesn't use Cygwin might not care enough to
bother doing a new dist of my module just for a Cygwin fix in
Module::Install.

But a Cygwin user needs all of the modules she uses to have been updated
like this, otherwise some modules are no longer installable and it's
hard for her to remedy the situation -- certainly much more effort than
simply upgrading Module::Build locally.

And even if all authors did upgrade all their distributions with
Module::Install changes, that would still be less than ideal for the
amount of noise that it creates in things like Cpan recent changes
listings.

If a bug is only in one place, it only needs fixing in one place ...

Smylers