Graham Barr wrote:
What I think brian is saying, and I agree, is that he does not want
to have to say "don't send me mail" N times. Where N is between 1
and, um I don't know. Haw many tools will there ever be that want
to send mail back to the author and what will their names be ?

So as well as having per-tool settings in META.yml there should be
some global settings that all tools agree to use as a default.

At that point, is it an extension anymore or a de-facto standard?

Anyhow, the two desires don't seem mutually exclusive.

extensions:
    authors:
      MSCHWERN:
        pants: 0
      SKUD:
        pants: "Skirt"
    distributions:
      Acme-Ninja:
        hi: "keeba!"
    global:
      cc_author: 0

This allows per distribution, per author and defacto standard global extensions without polluting the main space with yucky "X-Foo" keys.