Ovid wrote:
Sounds like a replacement  for Test::Builder not just Test::More.

Well, I guess it would be a replacement for Test::Builder and various
testing modules.  It would be rather important to try and make it work
with existing test modules, though.  Not sure how workable that would
be  since we'd have to build in support for things not wanted.

There's nothing I've seen here so far that seems incompatible with Test::Builder's API. It could be as simple as flipping a switch to change what version of TAP its outputting.

Two different TAP builder backends can live together in the same process as long as certain things are coordinated. The most obvious things are coordinating the test counter and where output is going.

I'm already planning on implementing this in Test::Builder:
http://perl-qa.yi.org/index.php/TAP_diagnostic_syntax