chromatic wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 March 2007 23:15, Michael G Schwern wrote:
>
>> The simplest solution, and one which unblocks Test::Harness 3.0 because
>> TAP::Parser breaks compatibility in its current state, is to remove the
>> syncing feature.
>
> If only there were a way, perhaps in Test::Builder, to supply diag()nostic
> information to the TAP output stream.
>
> Oops, what an embarrassing typo.  Where did those completely superfluous
> parentheses come from?

Diagnostics (comments) in the TAP stream should not be displayed.  diag() does
not go to the TAP output stream, it goes to STDERR.  This is why its displayed
when a test is run by Test::Harness despite being a comment, because TH does
absolutely nothing with STDERR.

Even if we had an explicit way in TAP to say "please display this information
to the user", which we currently do not but probably should, that still leaves
the problem of warnings and other noise which might go to STDERR which are not
at all under the control of the TAP producer.