I keep looking at subtests and keeping thinking that if there wasn't a test
count to manage, would we need subtests?  Do we need all that complexity?  If
it's just about the test count, can it be managed a better way?

I understand wanting "blocks of tests" and the ability to make plans for just
those blocks, but do we need a discrete test state for that?  For example,
Test::Class provides most of what subtests provide without special support.

It occurred to me because most other testing systems don't have subtests.
They have test methods, but those aren't treated as a sub-state of the test.

In essence, a "subtest" is nothing more than a block of tests with a name and
it's own plan.  The special TAP formatting seems unnecessary.  I guess that's
the real question, do we need the special TAP formatting or do we just need
named test blocks with their own plan?

--
Hating the web since 1994.