On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Michael Peters <mpet...@plusthree.com> wrote:
>> Among other things, this would allow a project to freeze (and version
>> control) a CPAN index and use it for repeatable deployment of a
>> specific dependency chain.
>
> Isn't this what carton is trying to do?
> https://github.com/miyagawa/carton

Yes, but carton (as I understand it) takes a current CPAN index and
freezes the dependencies as tarballs into the project directory.  (And
I think does a local library install, too.)

That works, but it's clunky.  (Sorry, Miyagawa -- it's freaking
brilliant, but still clunky).  So every project winds up with copies
of tarballs, libraries, etc.  That seems to me to be hard to manage.

I want to work it from the other end where you (or your company or
team or whoever) manage the *index* and the net effect is the right
set of tarballs get pulled in when needed.

The two could actually work quite well together, since a better index
makes carton better at managing DarkPAN resources or a locally
modified index ("no I want the *dev* version of Foo, because the
current Foo breaks stuff and the old version doesn't have feature X we
need") while still letting carton freeze specific tarballs down as
needed.

-- David