The hash/field/etc builder system is always optional. You can always mix
them, it is perfectly fine to use the builders for both 'is' and 'like',
though for the builders it really does not matter which of the 2 you use
since strict/relaxed only applies to conversions of
hashrefs/arrays/scalars,  checks you build using the builders don't get
converted (though embedded hashes and arrays will).

is(
    $foo,
    { # This hash is converted to checks using the strict conversion
        foo => hash { # Not converted
            # 'strict' conversion to string check
            field a => 'xxx';

            # This hash is converted using strict (cause we are inside an
is())
            field b => { foo => 'bar' };

            # This being here makes the foo => hash { ... } check strict. If
            # end() was not specified here it would be a relaxed check,
is/like
            # do not control/alter it.
            end();
        }
    },
    "description"
);

Here is a sub example for you:

like(
    {foo => 'foo' },
    {foo => sub { $_ eq 'foo' ? 1 : 0 } },
    "Useless and trivial example of using a sub check in like"
);