William R Ward wrote:
> I just had my first real training class, and I'm trying to arrange for
> more.  But I need advice on how to reach potential customers.  What
> are some suggestions you might be able to offer?

Are you arranging public courses yourself?  I decided that was way too
much risk and too much work, so I always work with other companies who
can handle the marketing for public courses.  So then it becomes a game
of pitching your courses to a training provider or getting certified to
teach their stuff.

I should note that most all of my work has been in the realm of software
quality.  I just recently crossed over onto perl-trainers because I'm
doing tutorials on scriping for test automation engineers.  I have no
idea what the landscape is for the big perl training houses, if any.

> * My site is listed on Gabor Szabo's http://www.perltraining.org/ site.

Have you analyzed how much traffic you have on your site and where it's
coming from?

> * I've been working on a flyer to have available at various geeky
>   events and locations ( but where? ).

I've found dozens and dozens of geeky events in the Dallas/Fort Worth
area.  I could go to three meetings per night if I could clone myself.
I keep the ones I know about listed at
http://tejasconsulting.com/resources/software_resources_NTex.html.  You
could look at the national organizations and track down chapters in your
area.

> Any other ideas?  Anyone want to send me a copy of a flyer they've
> made?

[caveat - the next two paragraphs are SQA-type references]

I have a mediocre one at http://tejasconsulting.com/courses/stqa.pdf.
It's cut down from a flyer that a training company mailed out a few
times.

My latest Perl tutorial is on page 7 of the mondo-PDF file at
http://www.sqe.com/downloads/testautomation.pdf.  It's slick, though
it's for a conference, not a training seminar.  It's hard to find
electronic copies of training brochures - most have been formatted for
web browsers.  There's one at
http://www.pnsqc.org/f_broc02/sprgwrkshp.pdf.  My snail-mailbox fills up
with the hardcopy brochures though.  :-)

The book "Getting Started in Consulting" by Alan Weiss has some good
tips about marketing, much of which applies to training as well as
consulting.  I can point to other general consulting references if
you're interested.
--
Danny Faught
Tejas Software Consulting