--- Nicholas Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:12:16AM -0700, rajarshi
> das wrote:
>
> > I basically want to know if there are alternate
> ways
> > of representing barewords (as I mentioned in
> question
> > 2) above) ?
>
> No. By definition there can not be.
> You're failing to grasp what is meant by "bareword".
> There is only one representation.
>
> > Also, any pointers that you have regarding where
> > look to fix this ?
>
> Not much better than "in toke.c or utf8.c"
>
> However, based on a comment I've spotted at the top
> of utfebcdic.h *think*
> that the internal encoding of perl on an EBCDIC
> system is UTF-EBCDIC rather
> than UTF-8. The byte sequence in the source file for
> the bareword will need
> to be valid UTF-EBCDIC.
>
> For the code points being tested
> ("\x{0442}\x{0435}\x{0441}\x{0442}")
> does the perl source file contain the correct byte
> sequence in UTF-EBCDIC?
Yes it does, since I ran the test,
if (($hash{"\x{0442}\x{0435}\x{0441}\x{0442}"}) eq
($hash{eval '"\x{0442}\x{0435}\x{0441}\x{0442}"'}))
print "ok\n";
and the test ran fine, if that is what you mean by the
source file containing the correct byte sequence. Or
am I mistaken ?

> Does the byte sequence in UTF-EBCDIC for those 4
> code points differ from the
> byte sequence in UTF-8?

Yes the byte sequence for the 4 code points is
different on UTF-EBCDIC from the sequence in UTF-8.

> Does the source file happen to have the UTF-8 byte
> sequence?
It has the UTF-EBCDIC byte sequence on the ebcdic
platform.

> If so, *that* would explain the failures, and be the
> thing that needs
> correcting. The test file would need if/else with a
> different test on EBCDIC.
what would you suggest be put in the if/ else ?

> Nicholas Clark

Thanks,
Rajarshi.