On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 08:16:24AM +1030, Benjamin Close wrote:
> Jakub Narebski wrote:
> >>>>>>
> >>This version is broken on Debian sarge and etch. Feeding a UTF-8 and a
> >>latin1
> >>encoding of the same character sequence yields to different results.
>
> For the record, this was on a debian sid machine.
>
> #perl --version
> This is perl, v5.8.8 built for x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
>
> and the result of not using the original patch was:
>
> <h1>Software error:</h1>
> <pre>Cannot decode string with wide characters at
> /usr/lib/perl/5.8/Encode.pm line 166.
> </pre>
>

> I haven't tried the other solutions tested here.

Debian etch also has v5.8.8.

My main question is, why is the error not catched?

I'm not a perl programmer, but in your patch the first line is a
NOP. The return in eval seems to only returns from the eval block, so
any text is decoded as latin1 with the second statement.

In the original version, decode($fallback_encoding, $str,
Encode::FB_DEFAULT) can not emit an error, else it would in your
version too.

In your version, eval is able to surpress the error of
decode_utf8($str, Encode::FB_CROAK);, but not in the original version.

Strange.

mfg Martin Kögler