All,

I just committed a few changes:

(1) Fixed icon definitions for balloon tooltips. warning and error icons were swapped (reported by Brian Millham)

(2) We-wrote Textfield::GetLine. It had been using the line number as both a line number and character index; I'm also not convinced that it was allocating the right amount of memory, or behaving the right way for zero length lines. (reported by Perl Rob)

(3) I believe that I've got to the bottom of the

  (in cleanup) can't call "FETCH" on an undefined value at ...
  during global destruction

error that occasionally(often) happened - it down to the order of destruction of object during perl's final garbage sweep - I've added some code to our cleanup in GUI_Helpers.cpp to spot the problem, and avoid it. (Reported by many people over the years)

As an aside I now have a very good understanding of the tied interface provided to window objects by Win32::GUI::WindowProps. (as well as a better understanding of perl internals). This tied interface is very hairy, and I will be seriously considering removing it in the future.

(4) Added a ReleaseNotes POD for v1.06, draft only right now.

I'd really appreciate feedback on whether I've fixed (3) - some of you must have scripts tucked away that generate this error, and where you'd undef'd globals to make the problem disappear - if you could comment out those undefs and see if the errors have really disappeared ... I'd like to see reports of ANY warnings or errors that happen during global destruction.

I'm not sure what my availability will be like in Feb/Mar, but I will spend some time in the next few days working out what I would like to get into a 1.06 release. If you have suggestions, then please start a new thread on this list. (Jez, I'm painfully aware that I owe you some time for the ThreadUtils stuff we talked about last year)

A belated Happy New Year to you all,
Rob.
--
Robert May
Win32::GUI, a perl extension for native Win32 applications