**********
my $x;
$x = 2;
**********
my $x;
$x = 2;
++$x;
**********

I got no errors running these with "perl -w" using either ActivePerl build
623 of perl 5.6.0, or perl 5.005_03 for BSD/OS.  I added "use strict;" to
the top of each script and still got no warnings running them with perl -w.

Can you post an example of a script that gives a warning if you run it
under "perl -w", due to a variable only being referenced once?

At 05:05 PM 2/20/01 -0500, Carl Jolley wrote:
>I repeat my comment, the -w flag warns if a variable is
>only referenced once. Apparently declaring a variable
>and never referencing it is OK. Referenced means a variable
>is used or modified. Defined is different from declared.
>A variable that is declared but never refernced is undefined
>or to rephrase it, it is not defined. In order for a variable
>to become defined it must be referenced. Perl warns you (under
>the -w flag) if a variable is referenced once. Perl will not
>warn if a subroutine is "declared" and never used or even if
>it is only used once. Perl will not warn you if a subroutine
>is used but is never defined. That's because perl has the
>AUTOLOAD mechanism that permits dynamic subroutine definition.
>
>**** [EMAIL PROTECTED] <Carl Jolley>
>**** All opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer ****

[EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.peacefire.org
(425) 649 9024