TimeShadow wrote:

> I am having a problem with a user trying to access a formmail.pl script on a
> Linux server.
>
> I have a cgi script that alerts me when a user tries to connect to a file
> that doesn't exist (ie. broken links).   For a few months now, a user has
> been trying to access formmail.pl in my cgi-bin.  Formmail.pl was installed
> to cgi-sys by my hosting company so the user is trying for nothing.
>
> My script is suppose to tell me the referring url as well.  With this
> person/persons, there has not ever been a referrer.  The ip and host is
> always different and from all over the world.  This makes me think it is
> coming from a submission form of some sort.  Here is one thing that is
> always constant:
>
> HTTP_USER_AGENT: Gozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; windows 2000)
>
> and most of the time this:
>
> SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
>
> My question is:  Is there a way I can find out where this is coming from?
> Tracing the ip and host has been no help.  There has never been a referrer.
> Any ideas?

Those are basically break-in attempts coming from - more than likely -

compromised machines doing the bidding of hackers.

If you can't determine/report the host in question, then just ignore it.

--
   ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert   ICQ=14439852
  (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles   Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]