On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:13:34 +1100, "Sisyphus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> Yes, because gcc 2.95.2 is really a worse compiler compared to VC++ 6.  It
>> runs a lot slower, but more importantly, the code it generates is also
>> about 20% slower than the code that VC++ generates.
>
>This is not what I just found.
>I have 3 perls currently:
>1) 5.6.1 built from AS build 626 source with MSVC++ 6.0.
>2) 5.6.1 built from AS build 626 source with dmake and mingw.
>3) 5.8.0 built from cpan source with MSVC++ 6.0.
>
>I timed, using Benchmark, 300 iterations of the subroutine given below.
>
>1) took 4.64 seconds
>2) took 3.12 seconds
>3) took 5.31 seconds

Interesting.  I did some digging, but only found my notes from testing
Perl 5.005_53 with EGCS (gcc 2.91.57).  I thought I did some later testing
with Perl 5.6 and gcc 2.95, but can't find any logs anymore.  Maybe I
should rerun some tests again...

BTW, I was using the perlbench tests for comparison, and I think running
pod2html on perlfunc.

>So the mingw build was about 25% faster than the comparable msvc build.

Are you sure you used the same compilation options?  Especially, did you
set all 3 of USE_MULTI, USE_ITHREADS and USE_IMP_SYS?

>Am I missing something ?
>Is my msvc-built perl suffering from having been built with the Standard
>Edition (no Service Packs added, afaik) ?

Service packs shouldn't make a difference.  I cannot remember if the
"Standard Edition" of VC++ 6 supports optimization or not.  Did you get
any warning from using the -O2 switch?

Cheers,
-Jan