On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:37:47 -0500, "Randy W. Sims"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On 3/31/2004 11:17 PM, Jan Dubois wrote:
>
>> Core module should not be in the PPM repository at all.  Even if did
>> manage to install them, they would still not become active as they
>> install into the site/lib tree, but the lib tree appears first in @INC.
>
>With the dual-lifing of the core modules, maybe it would be a good idea
>to allow the updated core modules into the repository and to add an
>option to ppm so that it did something similar to 'make install UNINST=1'?

Maybe.  Unfortunately I don't see anyone working on it in the
foreseeable future.

Another problem is that updating core modules automatically could
potentially break an ActivePerl installation, which we want to avoid as
much as possible.  The updated core module would have to be compatible
with all previous releases of that Perl series, not just the latest one.
But there are no resources available to do manual QA testing on PPM
packages.  It quickly becomes pretty complicated if you want to do it
properly.

You can always update ActivePerl itself to get the latest versions of
the core modules.  Since ActivePerl is released at least every 3 months
nowadays, they should always be reasonably uptodate.

Cheers,
-Jan