On Thu, 28 May 2009, Sisyphus wrote:
> [...]

Yes, as the text says, these are all helpful pointers to the latest releases.

> Or ... have I misinterpreted what I'm seeing there ? (Perhaps the "continue"
> link still leads to the installation of the SDK 2003 ?)

Indeed, the "Continue" button is exactly what you have to press.  It does its
usual Windows Genuine Advantage verification and then lets you install the
SDK,

[...]

> > The advantage of the 2003 SDK compiler for x64 (and VC6 for x86) is
> > that they don't require additional runtime libraries; they link
> > against MSVCRT.dll which is already part of Windows. So any
> > application generated with PAR / PerlApp / Perl2Exe doesn't need to
> > bundle MSVCR80.dll.
> >

> Yes, this is a good reason for using that particular compiler to build perl.
> As long as that compiler remains readily available, I see no cause for
> concern.

Well, VC6 is no longer available if you don't already have it.  You can still
generate compatible binaries with MinGW, which will also link against
MSVCRT.dll,
or you can use a later VC version, but then you'll need to also use the version
specific runtime library as well, which also works as long as you are careful
not to mix runtime objects, e.g. don't call msvcr80.free() on a pointer that
you received from msvcrt.malloc(), or call msvcrt.fread() on a FILE* that you
received from msvcr80.fopen().

Cheers,
-Jan