Hi,

Should I submit the 2 proposals below to bugzilla ?

1) I've found that we can't actually build perl using the MinGW that gets
installed using ppm.
This happens because windres.exe cannot be found.
Adding the perl/site/lib/auto/MinGW folder fixes the problem, but perhaps it
would be better
to put an executable named windres.exe in perl/site/bin - as has been done
for ar, g77, g++,
gcc and dlltool. Btw, what does the source code for those executables look
like ?

2) ExtUtils::Liblist::Kid.pm contains the following:

    if ($VC and exists $ENV{LIB} and $ENV{LIB}) {
        push @libpath, split /;/, $ENV{LIB};
    }

It would be really neat if the same could be done for MinGW, by adding the
following code
immediately after the above code:

    # For the benefit of MinGW:
    if ($GC and exists $ENV{LIBRARY_PATH} and $ENV{LIBRARY_PATH}) {
        push @libpath, split /;/, $ENV{LIBRARY_PATH};
    }

I've been using this in my own builds of perl for quite some time, and it's
a very handy
amendment to have in place. (Amending Kid.pm by hand every time I update
EU::MM/perl does,
however, become rather tiresome.) I asked Schwern to put it in the official
release of EU::MM,
but he refused - worried it might break something. It then occurred to me
that, since ActivePerl
ships with ActiveState's own version of EU::MM, ActiveState might be willing
to include that
code. (Better still if someone can convince Schwern to stick it in the
official release.)

Cheers,
Rob