On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Michael Ellery wrote:
> Can you shed a little light on what this WIN32_SLOPPY_STAT does - I'm
> guessing it uses a faster set of APIs for gathering file stat info -
> perhaps at the cost of accuracy?

The normal Perl implementation of stat() on Windows actually opens
the file.  That seems to be the only way to make sure updates from
hardlinks get propagated.  But hardlinks are rarely used on Windows,
and information like nlink (the hardlink count from the stat buffer
even less so), so for most purposes not doing the file open is not
a problem.

Of course the largest savings come from not opening a file that is
on a network share and not local, because those open()s are really
slow.

Cheers,
-Jan